Friday, March 1, 2019

Rock solid

We are so busy. Consequently, we do the same things every day, seemingly cut off from the world around us.

As New Englanders, we live in a winter climate that is constantly in flux -- snow, sleet, ice, repeat. But most times, we travel from house to car to workplace, then from workplace to car to house, oblivious to anything but the cold.

On Saturday mornings, I seek to take the blinders off and really see. Sometimes I notice the things I omit.

Take rocks, for example. Here at the summer place they are everywhere. Stones are furniture to people who live by the seashore. I can honestly say that some of the best times in my life have been spent sitting on a stone by the sea with my mom.

Yet if I really focus, I realize that they are the vantage point to view the Creator's art.


Standing stones lead the way to the beach.

Don't fence me in. Millions of stones make up this paddock.


Rocks encircle the beach. Sit a spell or cast a line.


Someone walking the beach stacked stones on a picnic table.


This stone wall marks the boundary of our back yard.





No comments:

Post a Comment